Re: [TenTec] Orions & contesting

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orions & contesting
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:51:51 +0000
Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales wrote:

(KR2Q) But I will say that the PTT on cw is probably the first issue mentioned by
many serious contesters

(W4PA) We don't agree that it's a shortfall - and it's not something that will be
changed with the Orion.

No sign of "We have no plans to....", corporate diplomacy here; Scott's comment is robust and unequivocal. Folks can just make up their own minds about whether this is a show stopper for them. Already owning an Omni VI+, I had no expectations that the Orion would have PTT/MOX capability for CW. So my mind was made up on this issue, before I liberated the moths from my wallet in order to make my investment in an Orion.

(W4PA) I take the criticism of the Orion in the spirit intended, but nothing is
going to dissuade me that this is the best radio ever created for serious
radio contesting.

Scott; I was pleased though unsurprised, to read this. After all, you are the Orion product manager. If you weren't sold on just how good it is, the rest of us would have real cause for concern. I am sure you will accept that it will take the kind of experience of Orion that can only be gained with useage and time, before the rest of us might be convinced to share your confidence.

Meantime, I'm having a whole lot of fun learning Orion here.

73

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F