[TenTec] Orion PTT/QSK

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion PTT/QSK
From: Barry N1EU <n1eu@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 04:28:08 -0800 (PST)
WN3VAW commented "IMHO, Ten Tec has it right, QSK is
better."

Lack of PTT is certainly not going to dissuade me from
the Orion.  And QSK is certainly the more elegant
implementation of T/R switching.  But QSK and PTT are
both tools I like to have in my arsenal if possible.
Nothing beats qsk when I'm trying to bust a pileup and
want to hear the moment the dx answers someone.

On the other hand, if I'm calling cq on a noisy band,
I relish the relief of silence during the extent of my
xmsn that PTT brings.  Contesting is a grueling
endurance event (for me anyway).  If you do the
numbers, it is not unusual to call cq (gulp) 10,000
times in a weekend contest and the silence of PTT is a
luxury I may choose over the handful of q's I might
miss from not hearing the rare out of sequence caller.

As far as PTT vs VOX cw, PTT won't truncate the first
character and gives instant turn-around after xmsn.

Nice to have PTT, but can live without it . . .

73 & Happy 2K4,
Barry N1EU