Re: [TenTec] Argo V #516 vs. Omni 6+ #564 RX performance

To: Barbara Maloney <ac5p@sbcglobal.net>, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argo V #516 vs. Omni 6+ #564 RX performance
From: wa3fiy@radioadv.com
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:25:50 -0500
Hello Mike,

I have both rigs and here are my observations.

DSP:

Argonaut 516 - Does not have automatic notch filter, or any notch filter
for that matter.   That I miss.   The noise reduction works well.  Can't
say it's any better or worse than the Omni VI+ .

Omni VI+ - The auto notch is very effective and having manual notch is
a plus.   Noise reduction is effective but adds a little bit of "watery"
characteristic to the sound.  I don't find much use for the low pass filter.

Receive filter performance:

Argonaut 516 - DSP filtering is flexible but no match for the cascaded
ladder filters in the Omni.   The biggest issue with Argonaut filtering
involves the fairly wide roofing filter and subsequent IF AGC pumping
by strong signals inside the roofing filter bandwidth.   This becomes a
problem when trying to copy weak signals with a strong signal a couple
Khz away.

Omni VI+ - With multiple crystal ladder filters cascaded, the VI+ has
very effective filtering.   Having a strong front end and a narrow roofing
filter the Omni can copy weak signals much closer to strong signals
than can the Argonaut.

73,

-Lee-   WA3FIY