[TenTec] OMNI VI 160M RCVR PROBLEM?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI 160M RCVR PROBLEM?
From: NØFAA <n0faa@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 23:07:12 -0600
Greetings listmembers,

My Omni VI is receiving strong CW signals on 160 tonight with a pronounced ripple sound to them. ?Weaker signals have a slight ripple and very weak signals have no ripple at all. ?Cascading filters in/out, NR on or off and moving the signal around in the passband have no effect. ?From previous experience (or inexperience) as a TenTec driver, the automatic notch filter is off. ?Signals on all other bands are normal.

I thought I ran across an op with strong ripple modulation, but then I found another and another, etc. ?It's kind of blown a hole in my theory that there's nothing wrong with me, it's the whole rest of the world who's screwed up!

Either the Friday night 160 crowd I can copy should be at the repair bench instead of on the air or I have a problem! ?I don't spend much time down on 160 but have never noticed this previously. ?The time I have spent there, I have been surprised with the good results I've had with the Omni and my full wave 80m loop.

DISCLAIMERS/CONFESSIONS:
1. ?I'm not an old pro.
2. ?I'm not even a sharp young whippersnapper.
3. ?I can barely recognize a Colpitts oscillator.
4. ?Thanks to Small Wonder Labs and Elecraft, I'm a pretty darn good solderer (even if I do say so myself) but I'm easily distracted by the sight and smell of wafting solder smoke.
5. ?My qualifications are more along the lines of an often confused, sometimes confounded appliance operator. ?But I am trying to learn.
6. ?I did not check to see if some of the chickens were roosting on my loop.

Can anybody start my thought process in the right direction?

73