Re: [TenTec] Re: Sloper

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Sloper
From: "Art Searle" <w2nra@birdsandbeacons.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 11:36:44 -0500
Ken N2XY said:

> I have had one of these slopers for some time. I mounted
it as they
> recommended - my 50 ft. tower has a 4-element beam on top.
>
> As far as I am concerned, the antenna was a total waste of
money. I
> never did get the thing to work worth a dang.

And I have one that works; not great but it works.  I
mounted it on my roof tower (the tower is very well
grounded).  I can't say how well the antenna works on 160m
and 80m because I have too many noisy transformers in my
area (and quite a few garage shop hobbyist with power tool
toys).  I hear 'em on my AM radio as I drive home.  Since
installation in September some of what I've worked on this
antenna(leaving out the close in stuff) with 100 watts (and
a rig with a terrible receiver; pre-Yaesu FT1000MP Field)
and very little operating time (exactly 100 QSOs since
September):

On 30m: ZK/N North Cook, 6W Senegal, 3V Tunisia, JA Japan,
VQ9 Chargos, XT Burkina Faso, FO/M Marquesas,

On 40m: JY Jordan, ES Estonia, V5 Namibia, FO/M Marquesas,
7x Algeria, FO/A Austral, EA6 Balearic,

On 80m: HC8 Galapagos, 9A Croatia, 160m

It's not a great antenna, however because of my local noise
problem I am not a very good judge.  It does exhibit good
VSWR on 30, 40 and 160 and about 3.5 to 1 on 80 (I need to
work on that).

73,
Art
W2RNA

PS Don't ask me what the terrible receiver radio is.  I'm
not going to badmouth the Pegasus!