[TenTec] Re: Help with Scout 555

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Help with Scout 555
From: "Tracy, Michael, KC1SX" <mtracy@arrl.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:21:42 -0500
Don,

I bought a used 555 from Ten-Tec early last year and found the tuning to be
stiff indeed, even for a PTO design.  Bravely (foolishly?), I took the thing
completely apart (this took some doing) and found that the PTO was spring
loaded, with three small plastic spacers to give the spring extra compression.
I took out two of the spacers and reassembled the rig, only to be greeted with
no audio output because I had forgotten to plug one of the cables back in (and
I had to take the rig mostly apart again to get to it).  I was mostly satisifed
with the resulting tuning tension.

Some months later at a hamfest, I picked up a mil surplus knob that was a
*perfect* fit for the Scout and has a finger indent, further aiding tuning
ease.  I found it was hard to locate a small enough knob with an indent, but
they are out there.

73, Michael, KC1SX