[TenTec] Orion issues

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion issues
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:04:38 +0000
<<<I've got a Scout. You know of any rotatable Sterba Curtains I could try it
out on? <g>>>>

Forget about it and put up this instead: http://www.antenna.be/rhr.html

people will think you are running an illegal 3cx15000.
I bet you will hear stuff that most Orion owners can only dream about.

<<<And if you can upgrade to a really good antenna system it [Orion] will work even better. Which is why I'm selling this place and moving to the farm. 78 acres for antennas! >>>

Exactly.

<<<My interpretation is that the added cost of the Orion
makes the money that was spent on big antennas that
much more effective. What was implied as I see it is
that the radios heretofore couldn't fully use all of
the signals what the large a antenna array can
provide. Namely the ability to separate the very
strong signals from the now 'just readable' ones that
a lesser antenna system wouldn't even present to to
radio that's on the end of the feed line.>>>

I agree; my point was that the original statement might be misinterpreted.

<<<I beg to differ on your interpretation Rob.  What's
implied here is that in the context of big contest
stations and the money spent to be competitive, the
investment in an Orion is quite cost effective.>>>

Yes, _in that context_, after all the bucks have been spent on the towers, yagis etc. But, if there's someone out there with an indoor antenna and $3.5K to spend, I think they'd be better off spending it on antenna improvements if they can put up something outside.
73 all,
Rob/K5UJ