Re: [TenTec] Orion microphone choices, Orion Monitor function

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion microphone choices, Orion Monitor function
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 01:25:51 +0000
HI Don: Depending on what humor I'm in at a given time, I use one of several
Ten Tec 705's - a couple with an accessory jack for my Heil's; a Turner 252, an
EV 620, a Shure studio mike, or one of a couple of more.

There's a ham across town who says no brand but his favorite brand can possibly
sound good but with a little twiddling with the eq and mike gain even he admits
they all sound good. I run the SP on 3 or 4 and very few of the locals can tell
whether it's on or off. It keeps a lot more of the bars on the amp lit with the
SP on, though.

I don't know whether I'm "punchy" or not but I do know the DX comes back a lot
faster than they used to. And I get a lot more DX stations who stop a run to
ask what rig I'm using, it sounds so good. So I figure the Orion's audio is
excellent.

And finally, I have never found a monitor that I would tell me a whole lot
about how I sound. Too much direct conduction through my head competing with
the sound from the cans.

73 Pete Allen  AC5E