Re: [TenTec] Orion and PSK - duplicate PSK signal

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion and PSK - duplicate PSK signal
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:01:16 EST
I have solved the problem with the help of the good folks at TenTec.  The
problem was I was seeing a duplicate PSK signal about 500 hz away from the main
signal.  It had been suggested the radio was overdriving the sound card and
generating some kind of spur or harmonic.

Here it is:

If you run PSK you must set the audio to Left > Main and not "Both"

I had the audio set to "Both."  What was happening was the sub receiver was
also being played back through the jack in the back of the Orion even though I
had the volume on the subreceiver turned all the way down.  The jack in the
back is a line out and it plays everything.  Since the subreceiver was also
tuned to VFO A but just happened to be set on UCW instead of USB, the signal it
put out was 500 hz off from the main receiver.

Once I set the Audio to Left>Main, there was no need for any additional
attenuation and everything looks fine.

Radio k4ia
Craig "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA