Re: [TenTec] Quieting fan

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Quieting fan
From: "Gary Smith" <mandolinist@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:20:17 -0600
I rarely chirp in but I do as many "power" computer users do & that's
"water cooling" on my computer. There's a large market for these kind of
heat sinks & in short what is done is to have water replace air as the heat
sink cooling media. An in-line water pump pushes water through the
"water block aka heat sink" and it's cooled remotely by a 120MM fan
blowing through an automotive heater core.

Water is far more efficient than air for cooling so you get temperatures of
about 4 degrees C maximum over ambient room temperature from a
processor running 80 watts.

Yeah... I know it's too much for most people to deal with & no, you don't
get water inside your equipment... but your computer is dead silent
except for the sound of the drives. If you were to do this with a radio
it would be the same, no fan noise.

Do a google search for water cooling on computers & you'll enjoy the read.

Gary
ka1j

Also, if someone knows the whereabouts of an Alpha 77SX with the serial
2931 it's mine & I want it back. I sent it to Alpha when it was owned by
ETO & it was never returned after they moved from Colorado Springs.
Yes, I have all the documentation.

> Hi,
>
> I lost the message that I am referring to. Someone said they put a
> resistor in series with the fan motor in order to make it run quieter.
> How do you determine that there is still sufficient air flow to
> properly cool the tubes? What about in a warmer time of year? What if
> you (or future owner of the amplifier, or would it be ampli-fire)
> moved to a higher altitude QTH and left the resistor in circuit? I
> understand the desire to make the amplifier run quieter, but obviously
> there are other important considerations. You could just disconnect
> the fan altogether and it would be silent, but of course then it would
> not perform it's intended purpose.
Gary

Gary Smith
CQ DX de KA1J
http://musician.dyndns.org
http://musician.dyndns.org/homebrew.html

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not
bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

- Mark Twain -