[TenTec] Omni6+ mods: 125hz cw filter and 2 khz roofing filter

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Omni6+ mods: 125hz cw filter and 2 khz roofing filter
From: Barry N1EU <n1eu@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:47:01 -0800 (PST)
I respectfully disagree with the 2nd hand accounts
that a narrower roofing filter in the Omni VI+ shows
no benefit.  I don't know what those sources of
information were.

The only person I know to have conducted such tests
was George W2VJN at Inrad.  I remember him finding a
substantial improvement (I can't find the exact
numbers) when replacing the 15khz filter with a
ssb-width filter and using 50:200 ohm matching xfmrs.
He also suggested trying a cw-width roofing filter,
with a gain stage if necessary.  I believe other
projects pulled him away from any further work and I
shuffled rigs before getting a chance to implement it.

73,
Barry N1EU