[TenTec] RE: 102 years young and still sending beautiful code

To: "Ten-Tec list" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: 102 years young and still sending beautiful code
From: "Ron McConnell" <rcmcc@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:47:14 -0500
Bill Tippett, W4ZV, says,
"Wow, W0MB just answered my CQ on 160
and said he was 102 years old.
...birthday September 1, 1901..."

Wow indeed!

Does anyone happen to know Samuel Morse III, W6FZZ?
Is he still active on the bands?

That's Samuel F. B. Morse's grandson,
not great-great- or even great-, just grandson.

QRZ! shows
  SAMUEL F B MORSE, III
  5922 SANA BARBARA APT B
  GARDEN GROVE CA 92845 USA
  Birthday:     26 Jul 1902
    - making him a young squirt next to W0MB  :)

He was not in good health for the
150th Anniversary of the Telegraph celebration
in 1987 near Morristown, NJ, near Morse and Vail's shop.
Vail's great-grandson actually attended,
but Morse got sick at the last minute,
couldn't make the trip from CA to NJ
and had to call in during the banquet.
I had a chance to have a long chat with Vail,
a very nice, distinguished gentleman.
(My jobs were to take banquet reservations and pictures.)

SMIII was/is a champion at both American
and International code at 75+ wpm.
In my files I have a handwritten letter
by him on how to do high speed code
that he send to a mutual friend and I then inherited.
[Note to self - type that into digital format.]

Cheers, 73,

Ron McConnell

w2iol@arrl.net

WGS-84: N 40º 46' 57.9"  W 74º 41' 21.9"
Magnetic Variation/Declination = 13º in early 2004

    FN20ps77GV75 per w2iol
 or FN20ps77GU46 per K2RIW

   http://home.earthlink.net/~rcmcc