Re: [TenTec] SGC filter/Argo V?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SGC filter/Argo V?
From: jcasey@notes.cc.sunysb.edu
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:53:33 -0500
Hi John and gang,

I was happy to see your question.  Maybe we'll stimulate some discussion
of the Argonaut V!

One might think that adding a DSP audio filter to the Argonaut V would be
redundant, but I have found it helpful.  I have the external (high-level
audio) version of the ADSP2.  The noise reduction function helps a great
deal, even with noise that is not touched by the Argonaut V's noise
blanker.  It is phenomenal on CW.  However, to my ear, the quality of SSB
and AM signals is compromised significantly.  It MIGHT help pull weak SSB
signals out of the noise, but I haven't used it in this way.

All of the bandpass filter widths are too narrow for my taste on SSB. They
are great on CW though.  I believe the narrowest setting has considerably
steeper skirts than that of the Argonaut V's DSP.  If a signal is outside
the passband, you will never know it's there (unless, of course, it is
affecting your AGC).

The high-level ADSP2 noticeably affects the audio passband, even when the
noise reduction and bandpass filters are turned off.  Apparently, the
ADSP2's audio amplifier has a narrower frequency response than that of the
Argonaut V.  As a result, when listening to AM, I switch the ADSP2
completely out of the audio chain.  I assume this would not be necessary
with the low-level unit, since it does not provide audio amplification.

One minor note, I ordered mine on-line and SGC charged me $25 for standard
shipping -- way too much for such a minuscule device.

73 & 72,
Jeff
WB5GWB@ARRL.NET
Long Island, NY