[TenTec] Transceivers in ARRL CW Contest

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Transceivers in ARRL CW Contest
From: John Rippey <w3uls@3n.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:12:46 -0500
I tried out several transceivers over the course of the ARRL CW DX contest this weekend. My ranking, in terms of dealing with (1) the multitude of very strong signals and (2) ease of use (digging out stand-alone weak signals was not the problem!):

1. IC-746PRO

2. OMNI VI (Opt. 3)

3. TS-870

4. FT-920.

The top three are very close and the choice really comes down to personal preference. I give the PRO the edge because of its very effective and flexible filtering scheme.

Special Mention: the Argonaut V proved itself again. It's front end did not suffer the way the 920 did with blow-by and other annoying artifacts. However, the Argo is not really set up for contesting, so I do not include it in the above. Its receiver is very good, though--much better than one would expect from just looking at the ARRL Lab's test results.

Since the OMNI, FT-920 and the TS-870 no longer are being manufactured, I guess I operate in a time warp.

73,
John, W3ULS