RE: [TenTec] Jupiter vs 746 PRO

To: <johnclif@ix.netcom.com>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Jupiter vs 746 PRO
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:59:58 +0100
<snip>
 jgc wrote:

" after perusing the reviews on eHam I find that many 746 Pro
owners like the radio and its features"

>>> I think a key thing we need to look out for here is the
opinions of people who do (or have) owned both.

Lots of people write lots of unqualified things and none of us
really know who the other guy is or what his qualifications are
and unless he states specifically, we don't know what other rigs
he's familiar with.  I used to think an Audi was a great car
until I bought my first Mercedes.  OK, the Audi is still a great
car, but it's no Mercedes!

However, regardless of how technically qualified someone is, I
think all of us are capable of connecting an antenna to a coaxial
switch and switching back and forth and stating which one we like
better and why. Unless a guy intentionally lies, this is useful
data.

IMO, all other reports or comments are "interesting", but not
nearly as valuable unless I personally know the guy (and his
qualifications) making the statement.  There are exceptions.
Someone recently posted a review of the Argo V on eham.  It was
writen in a way that led me to believe the guy knew what he was
talking about.  In that case it was also useful data.

For me though, the "only" real way to judge a radio is to put it
in my shack and compare it to another rig I know well.
What does that radio do for me with my antennas at my QTH?

73
Rick