Re: [TenTec] Orion tuner Question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion tuner Question
From: "Richard Detweiler" <rdetweil@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:45:50 -0600

here is the reply I got from Ten Tec this morning on the delay issue.

One second delay:  This is due to our "Transmit Gain Control".  This
happens, when the rig is first turned on, or when a band is changed, or
when the power is changed or when it is tuned.  We adjust the gain of
the transmitter to the appropriate level for the operating conditions.  The
TGC is always on.  It starts at low power and increased the power until
there is the correct amount.  From that point, still is in operation but is
only making small variations in gain.  So, the delay should only be after
one of the major changes as noted.  After that it should not be
noticeable.

I would agree that a protection mechanism is good, however with my call
It takes about a second to send at 30WPM, Thus after a quick qsy and tune,
my "K5" is QRP.... I'd suggest the protection start at 80 watts or full pwer if set below that.

73's
Rich