Re: [TenTec] OT: A fix for slow WinNT, Win2K or WinXP logoff

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: A fix for slow WinNT, Win2K or WinXP logoff
From: Dave Sublette <k4to@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 07:54:43 -0500
Adam,

I downloaded and installed this patch using the .msi file. As far as I can tell by reading the readme files, the installation and operation of this thing is supposed to be automatic. However....I see no difference in my shutdown cycle. It still takes 23 seconds while the screen say "shutting down". I am running XP home edition and a pentium 4 at 2.8 ghz. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Dave, K4TO

Adam Farson wrote:

Hi guys,

Please forgive the OT, but I felt this would be helpful to those of us who
run Windows NT, 2000 or XP.

Have you ever noticed a problem on Windows NT, 2000 or XP where it takes
forever to go from "Saving your settings" to the logon screen when you log
off? This is due to a failure to unload user profiles, and usually drops a
"Userenv Code 1000" event in the Event Viewer.

Microsoft has just released a downloadable fix (Knowledge Base Article
837115). I have placed a link to this article on my "Computers & Internet"
page.

http://www.qsl.net/ab4oj/comp/comp.html

Cheers for now, 73,
Adam VA7OJ/AB4OJ