Re: [TenTec] Recommended Desk Mics for Jupiter

To: kd4e@arrl.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Recommended Desk Mics for Jupiter
From: jsb@digistar.com
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:54:33 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, edoc wrote:

> >> Is the TenTec Model 706 important for the Jupiter to shine or
> >> would most any mic sound OK?
> > The 706 is perfect match - crisp and clean audio.
> > 73 Jason N1SU
>
> The initial consensus seems to be for the 706, thanks!
>
> If it does not come with the Model 310 fan is that highly recommended or
> only if one operates a high duty cycle digital mode?

The fan would be useful if you plan to operate at 20W continuous.  I found
that the heat sinks get warm when I get very long winded on PSK or MFSK.
I don't have the model 310 fan (I wish I did though) or any fan blowing
across my Jupiter's heat sinks and they will get warm if your SWR is over
2:1 with PSK/MFSK modes.  CW/Hellschrieber/SSB don't seem to be much of an
issue.  I've been in windy CW ragchews at 100W and the heatsinks stay
cool.

A small amount of air will do a fair job of cooling the heatsinks - the
model 310 fan would keep them ice cold.

73 Jason N1SU