RE: [TenTec] eHam charging for Subscription

To: tentec@contesting.com
From: jsb@digistar.com
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:30:16 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Adam Farson wrote:

> This could be the "kiss of death" for eHam!

Subscription-based access to internet websites is always a failure unless
you have cornered the market on a very specific offering.

I work for a company that wrestles with this subject, with great pain I
might add, and it's tough enough to just get people to sign up for a free
account.

It'll be too bad if eham has to shut down due to lack of paying
subscribers but that's the Internet world.

Based on what I see about their site, they're colocated at Digex.  So that
gives me the idea that they could be paying up to $2000 a month depending
on their contracted services (power redundancy, backups, multipathing,
etc.).

Seems like getting a $250 T1 at home would be a more cost-effective way to
host the site.

73 Jason N1SU