Re: [TenTec] 80m antenna suggestion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 80m antenna suggestion
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:59:49 +0000
NOOOO, Bob, not quite. A low dipole is essentially an omnidirectional antenna,
typically with extremely good efficency.

A large loop is directional, "beaming" more of its applied energy in two
directions at the expense of the other directions. If the loop is horizontal
one beam will be straight up, and the other will supposedly be reflected by the
ground and add to the first beam. Whether that happens, or even whether it is
desirable, is still debatable.

Back when the years started 194 something or other, I saw some really
interesting experiments with low loops over a "perfect ground" consisting of a
couple of acres of surplus sheet aluminum bought for pennies a pound from the
B29 plant in Kansas.

Physics being physics, the results were predictable - and while I prefer quads
for many things, a low horizontal loop is not on my preferred or desirable list
of antennas.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E