RE: [TenTec] 80 meter loops

To: Rick@dj0ip.de, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] 80 meter loops
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:25:11 +0000
Chuckle - Rick,  the snake lost, but for the rest of the night every time the
mike or headphone cord cast a shadow the phone operator was sure it was the
snake's mate, come back to get him. He was still upset at the end of FD, some
12 hours later.

I had a horizontal loop up from 1994 until 2002, when the 40 acres of woodland
behind this house was sold and the bulldozers came in.  280 feet 6 inches of
wire at 40 feet, resonant at 3.78, almost perfectly square, with the near wire
running due north and south. I had a couple of days to get my wire down before
neighborhood ugly-fication set in, so at least I had a little warning.

(And before someone thinks that's too long for resonance - a thin wire HF loop
with 90 degree corners will be resonant at around 1050/f plus or minus for
height, instead of the book's 1005/f.)

I miss it - it was my "ragchewing around the area" antenna. The dipole is less
effective, alas, but we must all make way for "progress."  Even if "progress"
means a bunch of cookie cutter tract homes.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E