Re: [TenTec] Orion Aux I/O socket

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Aux I/O socket
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:47:12 -0500
Hi Dick,

I think an 'important' but overlooked feature of the Orion is that you do
not need any interface at all!! I run PSK and MTTY with the Orion hooked
directly to my PC sound card. It works great and the levels are easily
controlled with  the PC audio controls. The only problem is TT supplies you
with a 5-pin DIN (???) and if you want to run rtty with the Orion's FSK
feature, you have to replace their supplied connector with the proper 8-pin
DIN so you can get to pin-7, which is the FSK connection. However, they
probably supplied the buyer with the 5-pin because that's what other TT rigs
used and at that  time, they did not have pin-7 desiginated with the FSK
function.

Anyway congrats on getting your Orion...just keep in mind it DOES take a
while to learn before it's 'beauty' begins to shine!

Tom - W4BQF