RE: [TenTec] IC 7800/FT2000D/TenTec-?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] IC 7800/FT2000D/TenTec-?
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 06:59:28 +0100
Pete, you just hit on a dynamite point - the serial port.

In the second half of this year, the PC is going to go through
its biggest re-work in its history.
It's almost easier to list what doesn't change than to list what
does.
Anyway, here's what does:

- New cabinets (called "BTX) to replace the ATX
- New power supplies (BTX)
- New BTX Motherboards (called Mainboards over here)
- New interconnect for the graphic boards
- New graphic boards with the new interconnect
- Serial ATA completely replacing parallel ATA except for a slow
version (just one) to connect CD or DVD, but that will dissapear
too as the opitcal drives transition soon after to SATA.
- PCI bus goes 64 bit (which is what the graphics will use)
- I suspect the floppy will finally meet its fate too

And none of this is compatible with the old stuff so you have to
scrap almost everything and buy new.

I'm not certain because I haven't seen the exact spec yet, but it
wouldn't surprise me if the serial ports and parallel ports
dissapear entirely from the standard connections on the back
pannel.  If so, I suspect there will still be one of each
somewhere on the initial BTX motherboards and you have to use a
separate bezel on the back panel to connect them (just as in the
pre-ATX days).  Eventually these will dissapear too.

I fear the serial port's days are numbered!

What we need to come up with is a list of good USB2 to Serial
adapters (make and model number) that work with the Orion.

73
Rick