[Orion] Orion NR Function and Aurora-like Received CW Note

To: orion@contesting.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Orion NR Function and Aurora-like Received CW Note
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:36:50 -0500
I am a new Orion owner after having bought a used unit last week. The unit was just repaired and upgraded with the latest hardware changes about three weeks ago. All seems to be working well except all of sudden the received CW audio turned somewhat raspy on all bands. I have a vague recollection of having seen references to this problem in previous posts before purchasing the rig. If so, can anyone enlighten me as to the source of the problem?

While the NR function seems to work as described in the manual, I have comments and a question. As I understand it, the NR function attempts to distinguish between noise and the desired signal and then automatically builds a filter window around the desired signal to minimize the noise and increase the S/N ratio. It seems to me that when one attempts to enhance a weak signal in that manner, that automatic process would only be effective if the frequency were QRM-free. In other words how is the processing able to distinguish between the desired (weak) signal and any interfering stations? One argument might be that the processing only operates on signals exactly in the center of the passband. Also, if one were able to eliminate QRM by narrowing the passband, then presumably there would be no problems. On the other hand, in a simplex pileup the desired (weak) signal would be ignored by NR unless one were able to activate it when all QRM were absent. Isn't this a serious limitation for an auto NR function vs the more common manual NR and signal peaking features of audio based DSP units such as the JPS NIR-12? Do I have this right? I'd be interested in hearing any comments on this topic.

Thanks and 73 de Joe