RE: [TenTec] OMNI 6+ and Iambic (Different issues)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] OMNI 6+ and Iambic (Different issues)
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 07:08:16 -0700
Tony,

Ignore the first bit of my last email.  I should have read my entire inbox
before responding.

Your ideas pretty much coincide with mine.  There's one more point.  Its the
dit-memory and dah-memory.  Some keyers have none, some have dit-memory, and
some keyers have both.  People who squeeze (IAMBIC) also have more problems
adjusting to a keyer different than their own than those who do not squeeze.

Being a life long contester (40+ years), I have been to hundreds of events
where as many as 30 or 40 operators were participating.  I have often heard
some of the guys who I consider to be great operators complain (curse and
swear) at some paddle or keyer.  I didn't understand their problem.  Sure I
have my preferences, but I've always felt I can key with any key or any
keyer and I can do it with either my left or right hand.  How could these
guys not be able to cope with a different key(er)?  Well, my friend Hartmut
pointed out that the (old) guys like me who never really learned to squeeze
seem to have no problems and those who initially learned on an IAMBIC paddle
have lots of problems.

I've always regretted not being able to use an IAMBIC paddle (simply because
I never took the time to practice), but now I'm glad I didn't.

Here in Germany we still have hand-key contests where everyone pulls out
their J-38 (equivalent key is called "Junkers" over here) or their old BUG
and away we go.  I need a few minutes to get into using the bug, but it
works.

I fully agree with you and also recommend that people do not initially learn
to use an IAMBIC keyer.  In fact I personally see no reason for it at all.

73
Rick