[TenTec] Bliss tuners (was: 450 Ohm feedline)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Bliss tuners (was: 450 Ohm feedline)
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:27:50 +0000
Yes, the prices (yikes) are way out there for a tuner and probably unaffordable for
most hams. He used to make a manual tuner that was much cheaper.
The only way the cost could be justified would be to consider that the tuner
allows the use of a single antenna across the HF bands (cuts out the cost
of more than one antenna) and allows the use of open wire feed which
cuts multiple db of loss over coax when off resonance. The additional
db in a lot of cases would equal what you'd get with an amp.
How do you like my desperate cost justifications? A ham can figure out
a way to justify any ham radio purchase : )
Personally, I'd save a lot of money by getting a manual bal. tuner (or build one)
and get some exercise by getting up to adjust it. but if it's outside far away
the weatherproof remote may be worth the $$$ on a nasty winter night.

Rob/K5UJ