Re: [TenTec] Bliss tuners (was: 450 Ohm feedline)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Bliss tuners (was: 450 Ohm feedline)
From: "Don" <kd6hq@sonic.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:34:57 -0700
Rob

I agree with you that the price puts them out of reach for most hams
(including me)
but I found a way around that.... I borrowed one from a friend.  My friend
finally put
up resonate antenna's and no longer needs the use of such a tuner.  I on the
other hand
live in probably the worst possible conditions for transceiver operation.  I
live in a single
story apartment that does not "allow" antennas.  So of course I put one up,
but I did get
the managers permission.  Once the manager saw what I wanted to do it was
not a problem
no holes in the roof and virtually invisible.  I put up loop ( 136ft) that
just lays on the
roof - except at the feed point ( it's protected ).  It is fed with 450 ohm
twin lead
(not open wire) directly into the "Matchmaster" link coupled tuner.  I have
one other
advantage, I'm single and live by myself, so for "toys" I'm the only one I
have to convince.
Of course that can get you into trouble if your not careful .  I will say
that for all it's
capability the tuner could be improved on.  A spring loaded momentary switch
is used for
cap/coil adjustment.  Well for me the motors move a little too fast so it
takes me
a couple of try's to get the best setting.  So if I have one made I will
request a
different gear ration on the slow tuning knobs.  I have seen the adds for
the Palstar
Link coupled tuners also, although not quite the tuning range of the
Matchmaster, they are
only about 1/3 +/- the price also.   Something to consider

Don kd6hq