RE: [TenTec] 450 Ohm feedline tuners

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] 450 Ohm feedline tuners
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:41:07 -0700
Jim (and anyone else still following this thread), you're correct in that
these simple tuners work as well as anything else on the market at any
price, however you neglect one important point (at least to me and many
others) and a couple of other points.  We want to work ALL bands with one
antenna and the band-change procedure should be relatively quick.  We would
also like to have the matchbox fully enclosed in metal, not open such as to
enable adjusting taps with aligator clips.  Add to it that we would like to
run 1000w of power and now your simple solution simply fails to meet the
objectives.

To meet the needs of today's transistorized rigs, you not only have to
adjust the main coil as you accurately described, but you must also adjust
the link (with a switch or alligator clips).  The series variable C is
indeed a good tip (and an improvement over the Johnson), but I don't think
it eliminates the need for adjusting the link.  I guess the answer to that
debate will depend on the "range" which you wish to match.  I want my
matchbox to match from 10 Ohms to 10,000 Ohms, not just up to 2000 Ohms.  I
guess for a single installation, my stated needs are overkill because one
can always play with the antenna length and the feedline length to keep all
bands within 2000 Ohms.  However, if you intend to use your matchbox in many
locations with many different antennas, I think it should be built as I have
indicated.

The single coil Z-match meets all of the conditions I've stated above and is
really simple to construct.  However it is less efficient (at least on some
bands) than the tuner Jim described or the Johnson or the Annecke.  Still,
it's a better solution than the "T" or "Double T".

I'm a solid advocate of home brewing matchboxes.  However most hams don't
want to do that and many I know who would like to, can't find the parts.  I
think the parts supply (tnx to military surplus) is a lot better in the
states than here in Europe.

Wouldn't it be great if someone would bring out a Heathkit-like kit for a
true balanced matchbox?
I think I could sell 25 of them immediately just within the Bavarian Contest
Club.

73
Rick