[TenTec] Additional Thoughts on New Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Additional Thoughts on New Orion
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 07:20:48 -0400
        Just to add one more point which might be useful in
contests, I set RX EQ to -10dB for SSB contests only.  This
emphasizes the highs a bit more, somewhat similar to what
Heil HC-4 cartridges do for TX audio.  I find this helps
when using very narrow bandwidths in contests.  To summarize
I set my Orion as follows for SSB contests only:

Roofing Filter = 1800 Hz (fixed)
RX EQ = -10 dB (fixed)
PBT = +150 to 200 Hz (fixed)
DSP = 2000 to 1600 Hz (change with QRM)

These may not be pleasant for ragchewing but they work very well for communications in crowded conditions. BTW, I found Orion has the quietest passband of any radio I've ever used in SSB contests, possibly due to the excellent IMD performance.

73, Bill W4ZV