[TenTec] ON4UN's Wish List

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] ON4UN's Wish List
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 07:43:05 -0400
        Someone on the IC-7800 reflector mentioned
ON4UN's comments on receivers in Chapter 3 of his
most recent book.  It's been awhile since I looked at
that so I dug out my copy and found a very interesting
summary "Areas for Improvement" in Paragraph 1.18
on page 3-14.

        I belive the folks at Ten-Tec must have used
John's list as a Bible for designing Orion.  It is uncanny
how almost EVERY point was addressed.  The only
one I see that was not addressed in the original
Orion was "Make it possible to move the CW beat
note as low as 200 Hz".  Then a firmware revision last
October moved the Spot Pitch lower limit from 300 Hz
to 100 Hz.  Thanks for listening Ten-Tec!

        If anyone ever accuses you guys of being a
cult, you should see some of the comments on the
IC-7800 list.  Some are to the point of saying traditional
receiver performance metrics are meaningless, and
now one is saying he loves the radio so much it's
interfering with his sex life!  Amazing how little more
than advertising hype turns some folks on.  I'm sure if
ARRL measures any decent performance in their Test
Report,  the same folks will then be crowing about it!

73, Bill W4ZV