Re: [TenTec] Cooling the Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Cooling the Orion
From: "Jim Reid" <jimr.reid@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 10:25:48 -1000

Tom - W4BQF,  wrote,  in part:

> A digital therometer just placed on top of the Orion, shows a 15 to 20 degree
> F temperature rise
> above ambient during normal operation (primarily CW).

Same here,  but a bit different solution.  I noticed my heat sink was never
getting
warm anyway and I had bought the added fan last Summer believing I would
need it in this tropical climate.  Really didn't.

So,  now the fan just sits atop my Orion,  exactly above the display area,  and
covers
the vent holes just above the LCD screen (or whatever it is).  And,  as Tom
reports,
the top of my case used to get very warm after about 3 hours of operating.  Now,
with the very quiet fan blowing air down into the case, and out the bottom
slots,
all stays cool as the said cucumber, and no speaker removal needed,  as I use
it a lot.

I don't use the visual modes,  ie. PSK,  RTTY,  etc.  bad vision,  so really
don't
ever seem to have an even warm heat sink on the back of the rig.  Putting that
quiet little Ten Tec fan where I have described was the perfect solution.
Oh,  it is plugged into the DC outlet at the back of the rig;  the attached fan
lead is just long enough.

Just another solution that seems to work fine.

73,  Jim  KH7M
On the warm Garden Island of Kauai