Re: [TenTec] Orion relay

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion relay
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:45:25 -0400
Yes, I agree.

I have owned an Omni C, Omni D,  six Corsair 2's, a great Omni 6, five
IC-781's, and now the Orion, every one of which used the same type of relay.
I understand what the relay is used for as I always use full QSK, and I
understand what they sound like. My Orion makes NO NOISE of any kind when
I'm sending CW in the full QSK mode, be it at 20wpm or at my Orion's top
speed of 80 wpm. However I admit, at age 65 and after having operated CW for
the past 53 years, my hearing has probably degraded because my in-head copy
speed is now below 100 wpm. But to me, if I have to shut down the audio and
then place my ear on the radio to find out if the relay is clicking, the
d**ned thing is quiet, as I normally operate in a standard sitting position
WITHOUT my head laying on the radio.

Tom - W4BQF