Re: [TenTec] Orion relay

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion relay
From: "Troy Wideman" <w6hv@surfbest.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 12:08:11 -0700
 Well, Tom -W4BQF- and I are not that different I suppose. I'm turning 69
and have been operating CW about 50 or so years and my hearing has it's
limitations. I mostly use my old Vibroplex Blue Racer and my speed may be
typically around 20 to 25 wpm ( haven't tried to measure it). Also, I prefer
to not run full QSK.
 I've been trying to listen carefully to the sound and it sounds like a
relay (probably a reed type) and --with the audio turned off-- it is quite
noticeable from the top of the rig in the vicinity of the speaker. I can't
determine exactly where without removing the cover. It sounds just like the
Omni VI (upgrade 3) did before being able to turn the relay off. I would
guess that some relays are more noisy than others or that the acoustical
environment that the rig is in plays a role. Whatever--- maybe Ten-Tec would
like to offer a comment?
73,
Troy, W6HV