Re: [TenTec] New Yaesu Rig: Joke's on you guys

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Yaesu Rig: Joke's on you guys
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 17:42:06 -0500
> bottom left corner you will see a mic jack that is a XLR jack for a
> _balanced_ audio input. At last someone listened to the hams who are
> interested in transmitting quality audio.  Was it Ten Tec?
> Noooooooooooo.

There's no punch line here .... If you drive the Orion through the line input
(or otherwise, for that matter), from a high quality audio source,  you get
very high quality audio.  True, you can't get 12 Khz bandwidth out of the
Orion, but that's no measure of quality.

I run an RE-20, VC2000 and SM-26B to the Orion every day.  You'd be
hard pressed to find any of the "big 3" radios that produces audio of any
higher quality.

A connector isn't much of a guarantee of anything, especially since no
one has yet seen a spec on the Yaesu transmit bandwidth (connector or
not) ...

Grant/NQ5T