Re: [TenTec] ??QSK GONE AWAY

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ??QSK GONE AWAY
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 09:40:40 -0400

> QSK gone away? Not on my Orion. I can hear another station between dits at
what the MFJ 493 keyer says is 60 - and with what the internal keyer says is
60. So I certainly have QSK - at speeds higher than I ever want to run.
When it comes to CW I prefer city speed limits  to interstate speed limits!
I will leave the autobahn speeds to the young guys.

Thanks Pete. But us 'young guys' are maybe 'young seniors'!! I am 65, W9FCX
is 80, K5LGJ is 84, K5TO is retired, but I don't know his age. The youngest
ham I know, doing QRQ, is KB9XE, who is rapidly approaching 60.

> If it helps, the sidetone is turned down to 9 so it does not swamp the
other station, QSK delay is 0, weighting at 100%,  and rise time is 3 ms. CW
jack PTT is on and PTT in CW is as key.  QSK delay or a slow rise time could
keep the receiver from turning on between dits, or there could be some
garbage left over in a memory position that does not need to be there.

I probably should not mention this, but there have been several comments
about WEIGHTING. According to the Orion manual, there is no such thing, even
though it is called 'weighting'. The manual's description states that it
MAINTAINS A 3:1 RATIO. When you change the 'weight' control in one
direction, the length of a dot&dash gets longer, when you change the
'weight' control in the other direction, the length of a dot&dash, gets
shorter, MAINTAINING THE 3:1 RATIO. So if weight works as described in the
manual, it changes the code speed and not the actual weight ratio. It may be
possible that whoever wrote that description may have been confused.

> I did do a master reset after the latest download. A couple of downloads
back down the road I had to do a "hold the lock down" complete memory
cleanout but not this time.  And not at all unless some glitch that has not
revealed itself so far appears.

I had not been doing any reset on firmware updates, but when N4LQ mentioned
his Noise Reduction did not work, I checked mine and in fact my NR was not
working either. I did a memory reset and NR returned. After loading v1.37, I
did a Master Reset, then a memory reset, just to make sure the Orion was
starting v1.37, completely refresher or reset. NR worked fine. The next time
I turned on the Orion, my NR was not working again.

I also find the sensitivity of the VFO knob, in almost any MENU selection is
horrible. Mine is extremely sensative and take a heck of a lot of rocking
back and forth to get the selection I want to stick. I didn't notice this
before v1.37 however. This kind of super sensativity during a contest would
make one say some ugly words!!!

Tom - W4BQF