[TenTec] Omni VI 'Birdies'.

To: "tentec reflector" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI 'Birdies'.
From: "Mike" <zl1mh@nzart.org.nz>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 20:04:52 +1200
My Omni VI, option 1, suffered badly with birdies on 15, 12 & 10m, when I
bought it in 1995.
I bought & installed a mod which essentially was a re-designed product detector
on its own small daughter board, which mounts onto the Omni's IF/AF board.
G4PKT designed & sold the kit, but don't know if he has any left after this
length of time. He's probably ok on qrz.com.  I still have the documentation,
plus circuit, but don't know if its under any sort of patent-type restrictions.
Anyway, I don't have scanning facilities, so can't email it, sorry!
This mod wiped out more than 80% of the birdies on my rig.
For any remaining birdies, I've found that pressing & holding the 'VOICE'
button will completely silence them - &, at least on cw, all the rig's
facilities are still ok. (I have no voice board fitted). I haven't been brave
enough to hard-wire the VOICE button (limited knowledge!!!!). Maybe one of the
gurus here can explain if this would be a harmless thing to do!
73 de Mike, zl1mh.