[TenTec] OT:Question for Contesters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] OT:Question for Contesters
From: John Rippey <w3uls@3n.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:20:17 -0400
Thanks for the responses. I listened/operated mostly on 20, and some on 15.

I figured with the poorer propagation on 10 and 15 that 20 would be as raucous as a coal town boardinghouse. Not so. There was what I would term moderate activity, and very polite. In no case were conditions such that either my IC-746PRO or TS-870 had to break a sweat. I had anticipated having to haul out the OMNI VI to deal with the QRM, but it didn't happen. In the prevailing conditions, my Argonaut V would probably have done fine as well.

I guess I'm wondering whether there is a long-term trend that is hard to authenticate (like global warming) in the overall number of active hams worldwide: namely, downward.

When QST reports a reader survey turned up the most-named occupation of its readers is "retired," then I do worry. Then came the WPX CW contest and what I thought was rather less participation than I'd expected.

Anyway, I much prefer CW contests over phone and look forward to the next one (IARU?).

Thanks again and 73,

John, W3ULS