RE: [TenTec] Re: Contesting - Color Displays

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Re: Contesting - Color Displays
From: "W1GOR" <W1GOR@Maine.RR.Com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:02:40 -0400
Good Morning Gents...

First, a question or two...

a. Is the display information available externally..?

b. If it is, what format is it in..?

Can the display information be made available externally, and presented
in a standard format, such as NTSC, or, optionally as PAL, SECAM, or any
other format that is used around the world.....or possibly a computer
monitor format...?

If that were possible, then the monochrome front panel display could be
duplicated in color on an external monitor.  The main display in the
transceiver will remain in a reasonably priced monochrome format.  Since
the color display would be in the monitor, and not in the transceiver,
the additional cost of the color circuitry/logic would be comparatively
low (read that as a lot cheaper).  If the operator wanted color, all
that would be necessary is a conventional monitor of any size, CRT or
Flat-Panel, or, if the format was NTSC, a low cost TV receiver.

The development costs of a dedicated built-in color display have got to
be quite high. Color monitors & small color TV receivers are dropping in
price.  The development costs would provide the interface necessary to
pick off the front panel display information and send it to a rear panel
connector.

Does any of this sound feasible..?

73, Larry - W1GOR