[TenTec] Screen impact

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Screen impact
From: "Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales" <sales@tentec.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:40:23 -0400
At 11:34 PM 6/10/04 -0600, W6LX wrote:

Wow. This is very, very interesting. Does anybody remember the uproar
surrounding the Orion's price when it was first announced? Thirty-three
hundred dollars, and everybody practically fainted. Just go back and
read the threads and feel the anxiety: How could they charge that much?
How can the little guy afford it? Does it really do that much more?

And on the "Ten-Tec listens to customers" theme, I can assure you that the commentary about how $3300 was very high for an HF transceiver back in 2002 definitely had an impact on our decision to not put a color screen in the Orion. That was the whole point of bringing out the Orion at the 2002 Charlotte Hamfest - so we could get direct feedback on what we were doing. Same motivation for Icom and Yaesu showing the IC7800 and FTDX9000 well in advance of availability.

In 2002, I thought $3300 was a lot of money for an HF transceiver -
even one as good as the Orion is.  I still think so today.

Scott Robbins W4PA

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
Contact Mon-Fri Eastern: Office/Tech (865) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
Repair (865) 428-0364 8-4. Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
Fax (865) 428-4483 24 hrs. Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>
Email: New product sales/product info sales@tentec.com
Service department service@tentec.com
While we make every effort to answer email in an expedient manner,
the telephone is a much more efficient tool for getting a quicker and
more complete answer to your inquiries. Thanks!