Re: [TenTec] Orion Operation

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Operation
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:03:21 -0500
Basically there's two kind of folks:

(a)  Those that know what they are doing
and
(b) Those that think they know what they are doing.

Big difference in the results between the two.

Then there are those that go in and tweak 47 different parameters without
seeing what any one change made.  In my 35+ years of service work, I spend
75% of my time going back and un-doing what someone else did just to get to
the root of the original problem.

Lesson #1, lesson learned:  Perform one change, but before this, first one
must know what to expect and observe that the result is what was expected.
If it wasn't as expected, then put it back like it was and move on to the
next change with some degree of expectation as to what the result would be.
If one changes this, changes that, changes something else, tweaks that
value, make one a wee bit faster or slower and then observes the result,
which may be unsatisfactory, then one must decide which change caused the
problem.  Or best, point the finger somewhere else (hey it's not my fault)
and say it isn't finished, or it doesn't work or it's no good.  Remember,
when one points the finger at something, look down.  There's usually 3 point
back at the originator.

Lesson #2:  If it isn't broke, don't try to fix it.  (See A and B above)

73
Bob, K4TAX