Re: [TenTec] ps

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ps
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 11:55:41 -0500
If I recall correctly, the 8AG series (discontinued) are faster responding
and will blow at ~120% of rated current, time dependant, while the 3AG
series will blow at ~200% of rated current.  This is  one important point
when using a power source of unlimited current capability or one of very
high current capability.  Otherwise, don't use a 100 amp supply when a 25
amp will do unless adequate current protection is in place.

>From LittleFuse data sheet, a 3AG 10 Amp fuse with a 20 Amp load requires ~1
second to open.  I wouldn't trust my final transistors to this condition.

In place of the fuses, one might look into the AirPax DC circuit breakers.
They were available from Tentec some years ago but were discontinued.  They
are still available from other sources.  Be sure and check for the correct
surge current handling ability.  There has previously been a good bit
discussed here on the reflector about and where one can get the AirPax
breakers at a reasonable price. (I just don't remember where.)

73
Bob, K4TAX