[TenTec] Re: TenTec Digest, Vol 18, Issue 61

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: TenTec Digest, Vol 18, Issue 61
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:08:02 -0400
AA6E wrote:
>It's a fair bet that most of those XP updates had to do with Internet
vulnerabilities rather than normal user interaction.  XP is also 1000's of
times more complicated than Orion's SW.

        You missed my point which had nothing to do with the reason for the
updates.  My point was that I've updated the supposedly bulletproof XP
119 times since getting it 1.5 years ago, which has NOT particularly
concerned me, nor has updating Orion 14 times since receiving it August 21.
I get the impression some feel Orion should not have required any updates
(i.e. like hard-wired firmware in older radios).

        Of course I still average about one IE crash per day using XP (along
with the optional error message to MS) which shuts down all open IE windows
and requires re-opening IE.  Granted, this is better than re-booting the
entire Win98 OS but it is still far from OS perfection.  To me, the crash
annoyance factor is directly related to re-boot time:

Orion - 12 seconds (I just measured it)
Alpha Amp - 90 seconds (8874 warm-up)
Amp Supply Amp - 180 seconds (3CX800A warm-up)
Win98 - 180 seconds (?) not including reboot to native DOS when using CT-DOS.
WinXP/IE - 10 seconds to re-open IE (longer counting MS error notification)

Rebooting Orion is less annoying to me than having to re-open IE under XP...
still an annoyance but not a big deal, especially given the relatively lower
frequency it occurs with Orion than XP/IE.  Rebooting my amps or Win98/CT-DOS
is MUCH more annoying to me.  BTW, the last Orion crash I had was January 31.

73, Bill W4ZV