Re: [TenTec] E-ham Bad Orion Review

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] E-ham Bad Orion Review
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 14:49:06 -0500
> This hits the nail on the head for me.  When I raise a technical
> "issue" that I have, it defines my problem for technical discussion.
> When someone replies with "I don't have that problem with mine" - it
> is not helpful to me in a scientific / logical search through the
> problem space.

It isn't always helpful, I admit.  Sometimes, however, even that little bit of
information , especially if it comes from several sources, can be
enlightening.

It could mean the problem has not been fully defined ... by that I mean
the settings or control sequence or something else not mentioned in the
"my radio died, did yours?" posting could be important in having the issue
materialize.  Of course, it isn't always practical to start with what you did
at breakfast and enumerate every move to get to the point that "the
receiver quit" at 3:00 in the afternoon :-)

I found in reporting problems to T-T very early on (like March last year)
on the O. that such things as the precise control positions and operating
sequence was sometimes necessary for them to be able to duplicate a
problem in the lab.  That could well be, in part at least, why not everyone
can duplicate every problem that's reported on the list.

Secondly, problems can indeed have more that one root cause.  If one
person has some specific problem and no one else does .. there may be
(likely is)  more than one contributing factor.  That information may be
enough to set the diagnostic effort off in additional, maybe fruitful,
directions. It could be as simple as a need for a  RAM clear reset
somewhere along the line or an RF or power supply problem finally
manifesting itself (certainly aided and abetted by some change in the
radio), etc.

And there have been a few "didn't read page 35" problems as well..

I think everyone here means well and really does make an attempt to be
helpful ... often times it's just that nasty problem of not being able to look
at a person's face while reading his/her email that gets in the way :-)

Grant/NQ5T