[TenTec] Omni VI drift

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI drift
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 23:11:53 +0000
The older Omni VIs that had the crystal oven did drift on power up.
The ones made after mid-1993 were designed to run the oven
if the rig was turned off but the p.s. left on.  That way they
would be pretty much dead on when turning on the rig.

Mine is one of these.  If I don't use it for several days I turn off
the p.s. and it takes about 20 minutes to completely stabilize
when I power it back up.  It's okay for ssb and cw after that.

The TCXO is supposed to get around this and I think the newer 6s
have it as I'm sure all the 6+s.   If the oven on mine ever cooks
out I'll get it replaced with one of those.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ