Re: [TenTec] Redesigning the filter section of the Orion IF

To: ac5aa@juno.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Redesigning the filter section of the Orion IF
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 14:15:30 -0400
Hi Duane,

On 7/17/04 12:55:46 PM, Duane A Calvin (ac5aa@juno.com) wrote:
> Someone else suggested putting the 1 KHz filter in the 1.8 KHz slot, the
> 600 Hz INRAD in te 1 KHz slot.
> That's what I"m planning to do.

        That "someone" was me!  However, since I have the
1800 Hz filter, I'll just set my 1000 aside.  For casual use,
the 1800 Hz will work fine for DSP>750.  The format in the
reference below is terrible, but here is the IMD comparison data
by Sherwood between the 1800 and 1000 filters at 20/5/2 kHz:

1.8 KHz:  96/95/93dB
1.0 KHz:  96/94/93dB

http://dayton.akorn.net/pipermail/orion/2004-March/000309.html

The 1.0 is 7 dB better than the 1.8 at 1 kHz spacings, but the Inrad
is 10 dB better than the 1.0 at that same spacing, so there is really
no area where the 1.0 is significantly better than the 1.8, especially
for casual use.  This way I will not have to swap the 1000 and 1800
filters when switching from CW to SSB contests.  Now I can button
up my Orion and forget about changing filters.

        I'm copying this to the reflector so others can see the
comparison data between the 1800 and 1000 Hz filters.

73, Bill W4ZV

P.S. If you're a CW only op or don't have the 1800 filter, then I
would do as you suggest above.