[TenTec] Redesigning the filter section of the Orion IF

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Redesigning the filter section of the Orion IF
From: Lee A Crocker <lee_crocker@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:07:06 -0700 (PDT)
Bill

Thank your for the heads up on the va3ttn site.  That
did the trick.  In looking over the data I agree with
your proposal

6.0 2.4 1.8 600   if there is an interest in high
performance SSB,

6.0 2.4 1.0 600 if a CW man, with casual interest in
SSB

I can't see much use in adding the 250hz, but then I'm
not sure I have seen actual data regarding the
cascaded 600hz, 250hz.  I wonder if the AGC threshold
and delay might be critical to performance in the
cascaded filters due to cascading group delay.  Could
this cause the AGC to pump and reduce the effective IM
performance?

I expect in the long run however the "best" numbers
will be as above.  I was on the air the other day and
a guy was talking to another station, trying to set up
his Orion's audio.  I was reading the mail and I have
the ability to make wave files on my Pegasus, so I was
going to offer to him that I make a wav and either
play it back or email it to him.  When I cranked up
the Peg and got it on freq, I was amazed to hear a
station up the band, in the passband of the Peg that
was absolutely not hearable on the Orion.  There was
no sign of it in the passband nor any sign of AGC
pumping.  This radio is freaky.

Lee