Re: [TenTec] IC-7800 Expanded Test Report

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] IC-7800 Expanded Test Report
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 08:13:38 -0700
I know many of us bemoan the fact that QST, in their general readership journal, does not really "get to the point" in explaining rig comparisons to the lay amateur (vs. "professional" amateur, of course, like most of us here!)

So, one more time, I sure wish MY ARRL (I continue to be a member) would do me the favor of truly comparing rigs and ranking them in various rational ways. They almost did this with tuners a while back, ranking them for internal loss, but they didn't really look at currently available models. Now, is this because we are not submitting such articles?

What would happen if one of us wrote an article ranking receivers along various dimensions like close-in BDR and phase noise (co-author it with Sherwood?) and explain what it might mean to the average amateur vs. the amateur with extraordinary antennas and a quiet location? This would be a service to (me!) the general amateur community and help them to compare rigs for their own situations and to be realistic about the specs of various rigs. I am not an RF engineer, so I'm not qualified to write this, but I'd certainly be willing to help (edit, coordinate, provide rigs from my shack, do simple tests....)

Wonder what QST editors would do if the article was good and fair? (They are good and fair people over there).

Clark
WA3JPG