Re: [TenTec] Problem with my Omni VI /option3

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Problem with my Omni VI /option3
From: "Steve N4LQ" <n4lq@iglou.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:50:40 -0400
From: "Chris" <christopher_an@sympatico.ca>
To: <TenTec@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 9:01 PM
Subject: [TenTec] Problem with my Omni VI /option3

Hi all,

I have a problem with my Omni VI/option3, and here is the symptom.

When I turned on the radio yesterday, its CW sidetone was heard all the time
and the wattmeter was showing that it was transmitting CW signal.  None of
the button on the mode, band, nor filter was working.  Turning the radio off
and on didn't fix the problem.  I did PARTIAL RESET as well as MASTER RESET,
but no luck at all.

However, the symptom has changed after the MASTER RESET.  After this reset,
the radio is no longer transmitting.  I just don't hear anything from the
radio.  The meter is moving, so I can see that the receiver is working.  If
I do the MASTER RESET again and hold the ENTER button, I can hear signal,
however, it goes MUTE as soon as I release the ENTER button.

There is nothing connected to AUX antenna port and the meter drops when I
press the ANTENNA button to AUX.  This assures that the receiver is working
but something is cutting the audio off.

For both befor and after, none of the buttons works on the radio, so I
suspect that there is a problem on the logic board or CPU of the radio.  I
asked Ten-Tec and he also pointed that there must be a problem on the
control board.  He told me to ship the radio, but I'd like to find if I can
get it fixed here locally first.  Does anyone here have any idea what went
wrong?  Do you think I'd rather send it to Ten-Tec for repair?  I know
Ten-Tec will do a top class work on it, but the shipping both ways will cost
too much.

Any suggestion or comment will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Chris VA3UT