Re: [TenTec] Basic question - Long

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Basic question - Long
From: Joe Malloy <jmalloy@hamilton.edu>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 21:53:22 -0400
And, oh yes, don't try to have those windows servers actually try to do
something other than
the occasional file sharing. They will crash.

Not in my experience they won't; they don't at the institution I work at. I'm sorry yours were configured so poorly.

OH yea, I've been running WinXPpro on my three home made PC's also for three years with NO crashes.

I refer you to my earlier comment about actually using it.

How do you know he's not? At home here, I have seven networked PC's running WinXP, Win2K or WinNT4 -- and *each one* is constantly (24/7, except when the power fails) crunching numbers for SETI even as they are used for other things, including making CDs, watching TV (on one of them, not the speediest), and other things. It all works just tickety-boo, nary a crash anywhere (except when hardware (hd's) passes on). Sure, I probably could do the same thing with other OS's, but why change hardware to Mac-ize this setup?

By the way, did you build your MAC?

No, I didn't have to.

In other words, you really didn't have the option to.

What exactly did you actually build?

With the exception of one machine (the "fast" one, 1.6 GHz), I've kept the boxes of the other ones (power supplies, floppies, hds, etc.) and swapped out motherboards over the years to upgrade the machines, often passing them further on down the line. It's been a great savings over "The Mac Way(tm)". Let's face it: it keep a DEC machine from 1991 still usable (not upgraded; it's slow, but it works); do you still operate Macintoshes from that era?

Don't be so smug. I realize that it's essentially a religious conviction that keeps one PC or Macintosh oriented, but I gotta ask: if the Macintosh was so cheap, so perfect in every way, why does it have such a minuscule portion of the market -- especially these days, when it's quite popular to be anti-Microsoft? Be happy with your choice; I'm very happy with mine.

73,

Joe, W2RBA