Re: [TenTec] 100 w. mobile rig

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 100 w. mobile rig
From: "Jim Miller WB5OXQ" <wb5oxq@grandecom.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 17:05:14 -0500
Just remember that many mobile antennas like the popular fiberglass whips
can't take over 200 pep.  The heavy duty hustler coils and the heavy duty
and quite large and bulky screwdriver types can handle more also. If you
drive a veichle on which a large antenna is easy to mount and you dont care
about style (pickup, motor home, semi, etc) then high power in a mobile is
ok.  Just remember that the size limitation of the mobile antenna limits the
signal capture area so you cannot hear quite as well with a mobile
especially at the lower frequencies and you cannot fix that so if you cannot
hear em you cannot work em even with a killowatt.  I run 100 watts mobile
with a small screwdriver type only 5' tall and work European stations all
the time on 20 meters.  Stateside on 40 I get around 600-700 miles and 300+
miles on 80.  Also my friends with mobile amps say operation is very touchy
and if swr gets much over 2 to 1 even for a second while tuning the amp is
likely to blow finals.  This is expecially true with worthmore amps and the
Ameritron units can fail also.
Jim in Waco WB5OXQ
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>